There’s a quote often attributed to Sir Winston Churchill:
“However beautiful the strategy,
you should occasionally look at the results.”
When was the last time you reviewed your marketing strategy?
Are you happy with the results?
“This is the way we do things around here”
It takes time (and often a lot of trial-and-error) to develop a strategy that works, for marketing and sales.
Eventually, you find something that works.
And that becomes “the way we do things around here”.
Suddenly, your business takes off!
Sales come in!
Money comes in!
And the money solves all manner of problems in business.
With enough money, you can buy the man-hours necessary to work through the solution yourself, pay for the widget or fidget required to have it solve itself, or hire someone smart enough to solve it for you.
And when there’s enough money coming in, and problems are being solved, your business grows!
…Until it doesn’t.
Money slows down.
Problems become harder.
And growth slows down, then plateaus.
Then things get harder and even busier!
It’s not that you don’t want your business to be more profitable.
- There’s not enough time to say “yes” to opportunities.
- You’re run off your feet DOING things, with no time to IMPROVE things.
- You can’t afford to take your foot off the accelerator. There’s too much pressure riding on your need to bring sales in the door to keep the business running.
- You get busy and overwhelmed, and barely have enough time to put out fires – let alone build your business.
- You feel like you’re running on a treadmill and can’t stop.
- And when you finally feel like you do get on top of things – there’s only enough time to make a few little tweaks to your business until the craziness begins again.
The whole purpose of sales and marketing is to bring in the money you need to solve problems in your business.
But when things are too busy, sales and marketing get neglected.
The good news is: chances are there are a few marketing tasks, activities and campaigns that aren’t giving you a great return on your investment of time and money.
Chances are there are opportunities to get far better results with a few tiny tweaks to your existing business.
What old ways of doing things do you need to give up if you want to get new results?
If you know how to read your Google Analytics data, chances are you’ll find the answers there.